Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Different Perspective Poems: Settlement


King
They serve me,
Of course, not thee,
They bring me riches, land, and gold,
Those loyal men, they don’t have to be told,
What to do or what to find,
For their minds are carefully aligned,
Since the day they were born,
They honored me,
Of course, not thee,
I can sit back, relax, all day long,
And forever hear the joyful song,
Of being rich, powerful, almighty,
(Though I admit: I still sleep in a nightie)
But I know that you will never see,
How good it is to me,
(Of course, not thee)


Native Americans
They speak a foreign language,
One that none of us can understand,
And yet here they are, on our land,
They have very strange faces,
They must be people of the sky,
For they are very different from
Him, or her, or I.
Our people watch from the dark,
Then a voice from outside strikes,
Like a spark,
We creep out of our hiding spot,
To see what message they have brought,
They signal to us that all they want is peace,
So instead of fighting,
We have a grand feast,
Now that peace between is
Settled and laid,
We gather our items,
to trade

Loyalists
He is my leader, my king, my guide,
I follow him with trust and pride,
His wish is my command,
So here I am, pushed away from the land,
I am at sea, but not to flee,
Instead to search for beautiful gold,
So I can get money,
Sit back, and unfold,
For I am him,
And he is I,
And I have not told a lie.

Patriots
My life was crumbling,
Down the drain,
In England,
My heart was strained,
I wished for
Freedom
Justice
Change
So I got on a ship
And sailed away,
Into the sunset,
Gold and pink,
And hoped that my ship
Would not sink.

Poems written by Sara and Grace
 

No comments:

Post a Comment